A few notes
I was asked about my posting schedule. I don’t really have one. I began this blog because I wanted to write about computer games and while my posting rate has been daily, my interest in the subject wanes and waxes.

My copy of Infinite Jest arrived today and I plan to retool another blog I have into fantasy and science fiction book reviews. Publishers start sending you free books if you do this enough – awesome!

I witnessed a lengthy conversation in World of Warcraft guild chat about how women were all shallow (?), that men are expected to dress like women now-a-days (?!), and lesbians all wished they had a penis (my secret is exposed!) It’s amazing how much the desire to punch your guild members in the face removes the pleasure from an MMORPG. I rolled another toon, and then just decided to install Exile. Hopefully, I won’t have any problems running it in Vista.

The feminine aesthetic series! You may wonder what happened to the third part. As do I…

I began to work on a post about how this feminine aesthetic was based on rejecting realistic principles of design and viewpoint in favor of more emotionally evocative, fluid ones. Games like Prince of Persia and Okami do this visually, while a game like Silent Hill 2 take it further in that the inhabited world was implicitly a twilight reality that each person within experienced differently. I wasn’t sure if Pychonauts filled the bill as feminine, I wasn’t comfortable with the solidness of my reasoning, and I found myself wondering what the implications of calling this style feminine might be.

It was a mess and I’ve set it aside, letting it stew a bit on the mental back burner before I take another whack on at the idea.

What’s bubbling on the front burner?: Not fun (on purpose) games, games seeking cultural legitimacy, and violence in games. Plus whatever comes up as I play whatever I’m playing. At some point, I’ll have to define what I mean when I say ‘game,’ because my previous definition was brief and incomplete.
Labels: | edit post
0 Responses